2019 DATES COMING SOON!
AGES: 9 – 14
TIME: 09:30 – 15:30 (drop-off from 08:30 and pick-up before 16:15)
PRICES: See individual academies at the bottom of this page.
Our 2019 Stars are still to be confirmed but our previous star was...
Dean was England’s leading decathlete for a decade. His first major triumph was a silver medal in the 1999 World Championships, which helped him win the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year Award. He won Gold in the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and has a personal best of 8,603 points in a decathlon competition.
Our Athletics Academy develops each Athlete in all aspects of the sport in a fun and inspiring environment. Sessions with our excellent coaches and sessions with Dean give each Athlete the opportunity to make improvements in disciplines they already have skills within as well as develop skills in those they don’t. The programme breaks events down so Athletes understand the mechanics behind their actions plus an understanding of how to maximise their potential, producing a rounded, adaptable Athlete. Dean will be with us for 50% of the Academy (1 day of a 2 day Academy, 2 days of a 4 day Academy) so there is loads of opportunity for young Athletes to get to know him, benefit from his knowledge and pick his brain about what it is like to compete at the highest level.
Our Academy will cover the full range of track and field disciplines including;
- how to warm up, ready to perform
- improving running style and speed
- using blocks for effective sprint starts
- sprint relays and baton changes
- developing hurdling technique
- throwing technique in shot, discus and javelin
- developing high jump, long jump and triple jump technique
- improving race, competition and multi-disciplinary tactics
Our coaching team are happy to help athletes who have a specific area or skill that they would like to develop. Please speak to the Lead Coach when signing in on the first day of the Academy.
What to Bring
Athletes need to bring the following each day;
- training shoes (and running spikes if they have them)
- a packed lunch and snacks
- water bottle
- suitable clothing for the weather conditions
- sun cream